Taking Humalog® mealtime insulin doesn’t have to stop you, your child, or someone close to you from going about daily life. Prefilled with Humalog mealtime insulin, Humalog KwikPen
can go just about anywhere.
- It looks like a pen and is the size of a marker
- It's truly portable, so it can be taken just about anywhere
- It allows for discreet dosing
- It's kept outside the refrigerator after first use
In-use Humalog KwikPen should be stored at room temperature, below 86°F (30°C),
and must be used within 28 days or be discarded, even if it still contains Humalog.
It is important to know that low blood sugar is the most common side effect of insulins,
Talk with a healthcare team about whether Humalog KwikPen is right for you or your child. Before
use, carefully read the Instructions for Use and Patient Information, including storage information,
enclosed in the pen box.
Storage and disposal information for Humalog KwikPen
- Store all unopened (unused) prefilled pens in the original carton in a refrigerator.
Do not freeze
- Unopened, refrigerated pens can be kept until the expiration date
- After first use, do not store in the refrigerator. Keep at room temperature below
- Throw away the pen 28 days after first use, even if there is insulin left in it
- Do not use after the expiration date printed on the carton and label
- Protect pens from direct heat and light
- Dispose of needles and pens as directed by a healthcare provider
Pens and needles are for single-patient use only and should not be shared, even
in healthcare facilities, as infection or disease can be spread from one person
Do not withdraw insulin from the pen using a syringe.
HumaPen® LUXURA® HD
Important Safety Information for Humalog®
What is the most important information I should know about Humalog?
- Do not change the insulin you use without talking to your healthcare provider. Doses of oral antidiabetic medicines may also need to change if your insulin is changed.
- Test your blood sugar levels as your healthcare provider instructs.
- When used in a pump, do not mix Humalog with any other insulin or liquid.
Who should not take Humalog?
- Do not take Humalog if your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or if you are allergic to insulin lispro or any of the ingredients in Humalog.
Before using Humalog, what should I tell my healthcare providers?
- About all of your medical conditions, including liver, kidney, or heart problems.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- About all the medicines you take, including prescription (especially ones commonly called TZDs [thiazolidinediones]) and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
How should I use Humalog?
- Humalog is a rapid-acting insulin. Take Humalog within fifteen minutes before eating or right after eating a meal.
- Always make sure you receive the correct type of Humalog from the pharmacy.
- Do not use Humalog if it is cloudy, colored, or has solid particles or clumps in it.
- Do not mix Humalog with insulin other than NPH when using a syringe. Do not mix or dilute Humalog when used in a pump.
- Inject Humalog under your skin (subcutaneously). Never inject into a vein or muscle. Change (rotate) your injection site with each dose. Make sure you inject the correct insulin and dose.
- Depending on the type of diabetes you have, you may need to take Humalog with a longer-acting insulin or with oral antidiabetic medicines.
- If you forget to take your dose of Humalog, your blood sugar may go too high (hyperglycemia), which can lead to serious problems like loss of consciousness (passing out), coma, or even death.
- Your insulin dose may need to change because of illness, stress, other medicines you take, change in diet, or change in physical activity or exercise.
What are the possible side effects of Humalog?
- Low blood sugar is the most common side effect. There are many causes of low blood sugar, including taking too much Humalog. It is important to treat it quickly. You can treat mild to moderate low blood sugar by drinking or eating a quick source of sugar right away. If severe, low blood sugar can cause unconsciousness (passing out), seizures, and death. Symptoms may be different for each person. Be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about low blood sugar symptoms and treatment.
- Severe life-threatening allergic reactions (whole-body reactions) can happen. Get medical help right away if you develop a rash over your whole body, have trouble breathing, have a fast heartbeat, or are sweating.
- Reactions at the injection site (local allergic reaction) such as redness, swelling, and itching can happen. If you keep having skin reactions or they are serious, talk to your healthcare provider. Do not inject insulin into a skin area that is red, swollen, or itchy.
- Skin may thicken or pit at the injection site (lipodystrophy). Do not inject insulin into skin with these types of changes.
- Other side effects include low potassium in your blood (hypokalemia) and weight gain.
- Serious side effects can include swelling of your hands and feet and heart failure when taking certain pills called thiazolidinediones or “TZDs” with Humalog. This may occur in some people even if they have not had heart problems before. Tell your healthcare provider if you have shortness of breath, swelling of your ankles or feet, or sudden weight gain, which may be symptoms of heart failure. Your healthcare provider may need to adjust or stop your treatment with TZDs or Humalog.
- These are not all of the possible side effects. Ask your healthcare providers for more information or for medical advice about side effects.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Humalog is available by prescription only.
Please see Instructions for Use that accompanies your pen.
Humalog® and Humalog® KwikPen® are registered trademarks of Eli Lilly and Company and are available by prescription only.
The information contained at InsideHumalog.com is technical in nature and was specifically
created for healthcare professionals. If you are not a healthcare professional and
would like to return to the consumer section of the site, please click "Return."
Yes, I am a healthcare professional and would like to continue.
The link you clicked on will take you to a site maintained by a third party, which
is solely responsible for its content. Lilly USA, LLC does not control, influence,
or endorse this site, and the opinions, claims, or comments expressed on this site
should not be attributed to Lilly USA, LLC. Lilly USA, LLC is not responsible for
policy of every website you visit.
Click "Continue" to proceed or "Return" to return to HumalogType1.com.
El vínculo en el cual usted hizo clic lo llevará a un sitio mantenido por una tercera parte, que es responsable exclusivamente por su contenido.
Lilly USA, LLC no controla, influye, o avala este sitio, y las opiniones, reclamos, o comentarios expresados en este sitio no deben ser atribuidos a
Lilly USA, LLC. Lilly USA, LLC no es responsable por la política de privacidad de ningún sitio web de cualquier tercera parte.
Nosotros le aconsejamos leer la política de privacidad de cada sitio web que usted visita.
Haga clic en "Continuar" para seguir o "Volver" para volver a HumalogType1.com.